2. Best Mushroom in Art ~ Adult
3. Best Mushroom in Art ~ Under 14
4. Best Mushroom Recipe
**Must identify mushroom by species in all contest and donate mushroom, art and dish winners to festival. We will return dish container. All entries before 12:00
1. Best Mushroom in Art ~ Adult ~ Maggie, Interlachen
2. Best Mushroom in Art (under 14) ~ Giuseppe Platel, Interlachen
3. Largest Locally Raised Fresh Mushroom ~ Curtis Peyer, Gainesville
4. Best Mushroom Recipe ~ Louise Dutton, Leesburg
1. Mickey Leonard, Orange Park ~ Best Shiitake in Art ~ Adult
2. Emmy McNair, Interlachen ~ Best Shiitake in Art (under 14)
3. Curtis Peyer, Gainesville ~ Largest Locally Raised Fresh Shiitake, 3rd Time Winner!!!
4. Rissi Cherie, Interlachen, ~ Best Shiitake Recipe
~ WINNER ~ BEST RECIPE 2017
SHIITAKE AND SCALLION CHEESE QUICHE WITH HAZELNUT CRUST - by Rissi Cherie
(recipe adapted from Abby Mandel Machine Collection)
An excellent hors d'oeuvre or luncheon dish
6 � 8 servings
Pat� Bris�e (made in a food processor)
1-12 c. unbleached AP flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 egg yolk
4 oz. (1 stick) chilled, unsalted butter, cut in 6 pieces
5 tbl. ice water
2 tbl. finely chopped hazelnuts
Mushroom, Scallion & Cheese Filling (use food processor if desired)
8 � 10 scallions, cut in thirds
3 T. butter
1 T. oil
4 Shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 T. flour
6 � 8 oz. Gruy�re cheese
4 large eggs or 3 extra large
1-1/3 cups half and half, or 1 c. half and half and 1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp. sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. oregano
remaining chopped hazelnuts
Pat� Bris�e � steel knife:
1 - Finely chop 1/4 cup hazelnuts. Remove from work bowl and set aside. Using same work bowl, add flour, salt, egg yolk , butter and 2 tbl. ground hazelnuts. Turn machine on/off until mixture resembles coarse meal. With machine running, pour ice water through feed tube. Stop machine once dough is in a ball.
2 -Remove dough to sheet of plastic wrap. Press into a flat circle about 1/4� thick and wrap. Chill at least two hours. Meanwhile, butter a 9� pie pan, set aside.
3 � Pre-heat oven to 400�. Roll out dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to fit a 9� pie pan. Gently remove plastic and roll on pin to slip into pie pan. Prick bottom and sides with fork, refrigerate 30 minutes or 15 minutes in freezer.
4 � Line crust with parchment paper, fill with beans or rice and bake for 12 minutes. Remove paper and beans, prick crust again, bake 6 minutes longer or until crust is lightly browned. Remove. Reduce heat to 375�.
Filling: Serrated slicer
1 - Slice scallions, wedged vertically in feed tube.
2 - melt butter and oil at very low temperature in saut� pan, blend in flour. Add scallions and mushrooms and simply warm through. Remove from heat.
3 - Shred cheese in machine using grater tool; set aside.
4 - In a medium size bowl, lightly whisk eggs. Add half and half and whisk together. Add salt, pepper, cheese, scallions and mushrooms; mix well.
5 � Pour into prepared pie shell, being careful not to fill crust to the very top � within 1/8� of top edge. Sprinkle with oregano and remaining chopped hazelnuts.
Bake in 375� oven 30 � 40 minutes or until well colored and knife comes out clean. Let test 10 minutes before serving. Can also be served at room temperature.
1. Curtis Peyer, Gainesville ~ Largest Locally Raised Fresh Shiitake, 2nd Time Winner
2. Mary Ann Ebbitt, Interlachen, ~ Best Shiitake Recipe
3. Woody Blu, Gainesville ~ Best Shiitake in Art ~ Adult
4. Julee Seay, Interlachen ~ Best Shiitake in Art (under 14)
1. Curtis Peyer, Gainesville ~ Largest Locally Raised Fresh Shiitake
2. Woody Blu, Gainesville ~ Best Shiitake in Art ~ Adult
3. Julee Seay, age 4, Interlachen ~ Best Shiitake in Art (under 14)
4. *Lori Kirk, Starke ~ Best Shiitake Recipe
~ Best Recipe ~ Cream of Shiitake Soup by Lori Kirk ~ WINNER ~ 2015 BEST RECIPE
half and half
Melt butter in large pan over medium heat, saute mushrooms & onions for about 5 minutes. Mix in flour until smooth gradually stir in chicken broth.
Cook stirring about 5 minutes until thick & bubbly.
Stir in half & half, sherry, season with salt & pepper. Cover and simmer.
1. Biggest Locally Raised Fresh Shiitake ~ Scott Thurman, New Smyrna Beach
2. Best Shiitake in Art ~ Shiitake Stained Glass ~ PLEASE CONTACT US!!!
3. Best Shiitake in Art (under 14) ~ Hailee Gabel, 13, Interlachen
4. Best Shiitake Recipe/Dish** ~ Bear Bottom Boyz, Bobby & Andy, Melrose
~ 2014 ~ BEST RECIPE WINNER ~ Bear Bottom Boyz Award Winning Chili
1 lb ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
2 tblsp chili powder
2 pkg chili seasoning (mild or hot)
1 14 oz can chili beans
1 14 oz can light red kidney beans
1 14 oz can tomato sauce
2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes (Contadina's is best)
as many shiitakes as like (half to full pound)
1 pint Bear Bottom Boyz Onion/Garlic Salsa (mild or hot)
Brown ground beef and onion in large stew pot with salt, pepper, garlic powder (do not drain).
Add the rest of ingredients in any order.
Turn heat to medium low, stir occasionally to keep from sticking.
Let simmer for 1 hour.
1. Biggest Locally Raised Fresh ~ Pat High, Interlachen ~ Keyser & Woodward, P.A. Attorney at Law, Sponsor
2. Best Shiitake Recipe/Dish** ~ Bonnie Jones, Interlachen ~ Poppies Restaurant, Interlachen, Sponsor
3. Best Shiitake in Art (adult) ~ Woody Blue, Gainesville ~ Queens Hardware, Interlachen, Sponsor
4.Best Shiitake in Art (under 14) ~ Kelli Myers, Age 10, Interlachen ~ Interlachen Rainbow Garden Club, Sponsor
~ 2013 ~ BEST RECIPE WINNER ~ Bonnie Jone's Shiitake Mushroom Tart
Shiitake Mushroom Tart
2 cup Ap flour
2 tsp salt
2/3 C veggie Shortening
6 Tbsp ice water
1. Whisk together flour & salt, cut in shortening until crumbly dough forms.
2. Add ice water slowly until dough is moistened.
3. Divide in half.
4. Roll out on lightly floured surface.
5. Tranfer to pie plate ~ cover all over with flour.
6. Press in to fit plate.
7. Bake 20 min. @ 375F.
8. Reserve enough dough for top cover crust.
8 oz. shiitakes steamed & sliced
6 oz. portabellas steamed and sliced
1 large shallot chopped
1/2 med. onion chopped
1/4 cup red wine
1. Caramelize onions & shallots in saute pan until brown and soft.
2. Add mushrooms and saute until soft.
3. Spoon off liquid and save for gravy.
4. Deglaze pan with red wine & reduce.
5. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
1 Tbsp Ap flour
1 Tbsp butte
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup parmesian cheese
Fresh chopped parsely
Fresh chopped rosemary
1. Melt butter in pan.
2. Add flour to make roux.
3. Add cream & reserve shiitake liguid, whisk until boiling & thickened.
4. Add parmesian cheese, stir until incorporated.
5. Combine mushroom mix with gravy and chopped herbs.
6. Season to taste with salt and peppers.
7. Fill pre-baked bottom crust with filling.
8. Roll out top crust & cover filling. 9. Vent top for steam release.
10. Crip edges to seal.
11. Bake @ 375F 40 to 50 minutes.
12. Serves 6 ~ Hot or room temperature!